STILLWATER, Okla. (Feburary 8, 2019) – We’re still over a year away from Census Day—April 1, 2020—but the U.S. Census Bureau is actively recruiting now for individuals to serve in temporary jobs to help with census efforts next year, including right here in Payne County.
“The individuals who will serve in these temporary census roles will have a tremendous impact on our goal to ensure every member of Payne County is counted,” said Paula Dennison, Complete Count Committee chair and City ofStillwater Development Services director.
Communities in Payne County include Stillwater, Perkins, Cushing, Glencoe, Ripley and Yale.
These positions provide the perfect opportunity to earn some extra income while helping your community. The results of the 2020 Census will help determine each state’s representation in Congress, as well as how certain funds are spent for schools, hospitals, roads, and more. This is your chance to play a part in history and help ensure that everyone in your community is counted.
Most 2020 Census positions will likely last several weeks. These temporary positions can include census takers, recruiting assistants, office staff, and supervisory staff.
To be eligible for a 2020 Census job, you must:
· Be at least 18 years old.
· Have a valid Social Security number.
· Be a U.S. citizen.
· Have a valid email address.
· Complete an application and answer assessment questions. (Some assessment questions are available in Spanish. However, an English proficiency test may also be required.)
· Be registered with the Selective Service System or have a qualifying exemption, if you are a male born after Dec. 31, 1959.
· Pass a Census-performed criminal background check and a review of criminal records, including fingerprinting.
· Commit to completing training.
· Be available to work flexible hours, which can include days, evenings, and/or weekends.
Some positions require evening and/or weekend shifts because you must be available to interview members of the public when they are at home. In addition, most 2020 Census jobs require employees to have:
· A vehicle and a valid driver’s license, unless public transportation is readily available.
· Access to a computer with internet and an email account (to complete training).
Full details about 2020 Census jobs and the application process are online athttps://2020census.gov/jobs.
Payne County’s Complete Count Committee
Consider volunteering for Payne County’s Complete Count Committee to spread the word about the importance of the 2020 U.S. Census in our communities and amongst special population groups.
Representatives of the county, cities and towns in Payne County are encouraged to join the Complete Count Committee to ensure as accurate a count for their community as possible.
If you are interested in serving, fill out the quick online volunteer form atstillwater.org/completecount.
Interested individuals may also contact Dennison at 405.742.8214 or firstname.lastname@example.org.