(STILLWATER, OKLAHOMA / Feb. 14, 2021) — The extreme cold weather hitting a large part of the country is causing a strain on the natural gas supply that generates electricity for cities across America, including Stillwater.
Stillwater’s electricity is supplied by the Grand River Dam Authority, which is part of the Southwest Power Pool (SPP), the electric balancing market for a 17-state region that stretches from Canada to Texas. The SPP is asking its member utilities, including the Grand River Dam Authority, to begin conservation efforts.
It is hoped that conservation efforts will prevent the need for planned curtailments of power within the SPP region.
“Stillwater residents and energy users play a key role in helping us avoid any curtailment of service,” said Norman McNickle, Stillwater City Manager. “If we reduce usage through conservation efforts over the next several days, we can dramatically reduce the City’s demand. We urge every Stillwater resident and business to take whatever steps you can to help us through this situation.”
Steps residents can take to conserve their use include:
· Turn down thermostats to 68 degrees;
· Close shades and blinds to reduce the amount of heat lost through windows;
· Turn off and unplug non-essential lights and appliances;
· Avoid using large appliances (ovens, washing machines, etc.)
· Businesses should minimize the use of electric lighting and electricity-consuming equipment as much as possible;
· Large consumers of electricity should consider shutting down or reducing non-essential production processes.
“We don’t know if or when we might have any curtailments in service,” McNickle said. “We appreciate everyone’s understanding and support during this extreme weather event. We encourage all Stillwater residents to stay safe and stay warm.”
It is expected that any curtailment in electricity would impact a small segment of customers and would last an hour or less. Essential infrastructure such as the hospital, nursing homes, police, water plant, etc. would be exempt from any planned curtailment. The City will provide updates as soon as possible.
For more information regarding the City’s winter weather plans, go to http://stillwater.org/news/view/id/678
View the Southwest Power Pool Service Map.